holley sniper efi iac problems

If your mixture is too rich, it means there's too much fuel and not enough air. But before you adjust the ECU to lean the idle out, first confirm that your fuel pressure is right. Covered the IAC port and set idle for 850 ish. 680-700.I can't find any reason other than it looses where it is in the firmware with If your TPS has snuck up to 2% then your IAC will be at the hold position, which by default is 30%. When you open your IAC to 30% you are naturally going to have a high idle condition. Thanks for any info./insight you can provide, Mark. it seems to ramp to 60 psi on the initial prime, but as soon as the motor start the psi spikes.I guess a workaround would be an inline return/filter regulator? So, if pressing the throttle is making it start, it's because you're flooded.Which is consistent with your rich idle condition comment, right? Hello, Chris, thanks for the help.I have not installed the software yet, and I'm having trouble with two cars. such high fuel pressure. Sniper EFI Update: Weeks Later, Do I Still Feel It Was Worth It? I am right back to where I started. So I had my Idle set up perfect, with idle timing control off and engine hot the IAC was right at 2-4%. Sniper EFI offers superior throttle response and wide-open throttle power. I haven't driven it for the 30-40 minutes like the several times it idled at 2200. )If you rule out a fuel supply issue then we're going to have to gather a few more clues. When I shut it off then start it Cheers Darren. Drives just fine but won't stay running unless I keep my foot on the gas. I'm also having a high idle problem but its different. Please give this a try and let us know how it works! i would have been happy to answer there. As inconvenient as it might seem, I'd recommend keeping a timing light handy and checking your timing during the high idle condition and then again after restarting. But if you will just advance the timing at idle and see if it makes a difference then that will tell you what you need to know. Price Point: $$$. I have a bone stock 350 that I installed a Sniper on and had the same whistle noise, presumably from air going past the butterflies. Your second problem should be a bit more concerning. But after sitting static idling for a little bit, the IAC goes to 100% & stays there. It then idles up from 750 to 1100. I can get it to fire up on the Now it's at 5% on a big cam 440 Mopar. The only way to confirm RFI problems is by doing a data log. Thank you. Hello Chris. It could be that you've left a vacuum port unplugged, it could be that the throttle plates are misaligned (unlikely), it could be that your IAC is not closing properly. I have a set of 8.8 Accel Rfi suppression wires on it. Your mechanical advance will naturally change the timing a bit but it should be fairly close. If either of these is not the case it must be remedied.After you have done this then you might want to involve Holley Tech Support about the TPS, or it may be easier/faster just to visit the local auto parts store and pick up a new TPS and install it. The progressive link can be a great solution on standard (non-Stealth) throttle bodies but I would install this LAST after everything else is working perfectly. It will drop down to 400 RPM then climb 500 and then shoot to 900 and then come back sometimes two or three times then catch it self an idle just fine again. :-DStill, I hate to leave someone hanging so I'll try to help. = 2.34 Any suggestions? Very annoying ended up being simple my rear plates would stay open constantly it was driving me nuts I'd let off the pedal idle at 1300 blip the throttle a few times finally come back to 850. He said they have been having an issue with these lately. I did buy the Sniper from you guys and the service was fantastic. I've made all the adjustments, all the settings, and the IAC issue is driving me crazy. This car has never idled under 900 without stalling with 3 carbs and does the same thing with sniper edit. This is very disappointing as people love to hear the motor while the hood is open.Thanks Jon. Hi Chris I didn't get any traction on Holley.com To finish, I rather tightly twisted the TPS signal and ground wires all the way from the controller to the Sniper TPS and very carefully routed them away from sources of RFI. I then saw you guys have an awesome little gauge that can hookup inline to the snipers existing fuel feed?? If the connection is loose it will cause the system to shut fuel off because the signal telling the EFI the motor is turning stops (to prevent excess fuel from being dumped in the motor). If I put the vehicle in gear the idle gets higher with temp. Super helpful and knowledgeable. your IAC is at zero. Relatively new Sniper EFI install on a '69 Mustang 302. That's a nice change of pace--a low idle issue! Also if I give it a Since it is unlikely that anything else changed it is most likely the IAC is problematic or the butterflies are not shut all the way. The Street/Strip and race cam setups tend to be too rich initially. To be honest, you sound like an ideal candidate for Sniper ECU ignition timing control. That Not good.There isn't set solution here that works for all engines. What must remain foremost in your mind is that the only thing that can cause the idle to increase is additional air getting into the engine. You can adjust this number up or down but there is really no need to change it unless the car is stalling.The sucking sound is just what happens when the Sniper EFI System is paired with certain intake manifolds. Did your process to adjust idle to 860. If the IAC number is increased during this high idle, review the points about high idle from tuning issues. I had that problem, right out of the box it would not power up, sent it back in, had defective hand held. Holley Sniper IAC Problem - Holley Performance Products Forums The "PC Text" indicates what will be shown on the PC/Laptop data monitor or data logger. You just need to go back through the IAC adjustment procedure now that idle timing control is enabled. As always, I recommend great restraint in changing any of the parameters until a significant amount of learning has taken place. Common killers: No filter in front of the pump, reverse wiring, driving with PWM voltage, running at dead-head pressure.Since it sounds like your pressure is right, and since the Holley system doesn't provide a PWM voltage, that pretty much rules out everything but the lack of a filter. Next, reach down into the secondaries and push the butterflies closed. Bottom line ismy first one must have been faulty. close to idle with the IAC between 2% & 12%. no timing control. is the fuel pressure. It's the same one that Holley puts in their Sniper Master Kits and I've never heard anyone with anything but good things to say about it. It is easily solved by installing a four-hole gasket or four-hole spacer (depending on your hood clearance issues.) I will turn it up some more.Is this something that the ECU will learn? I notice at 2-3% tps the iac is 18-25% and it stumbles, when the iac gets to my hold position of 30 it stops. Since your target is probably more like 700, and since 2400 is way over 1700 RPM, it's going to leave the IAC in the park position.Buckle down and find how air is getting into your engine. After a stall the car will restart but will be in a high idle. I put sniper on in hopes to be able to just turn key and start without fumbling with pedal to keep it going and to correct idle drop when ac kicks on. Purists will sniff that these are not accurate to the tenth of a PSI. You will need to change the -40 degree idle speed setting again but I recommend not touching anything else. back upthe RPMs shoot up to anywhere between 1500 and 2000 and they will not get So you installed your Holley Sniper. The Sniper Quick-Start Manual provides the following instructions for setting the idle. :-) Just don't let the parts go flying. I think that a great number of the challenges that Sniper EFI System Owners face are brought on themselves by getting into the control settings before the system has really had a chance to learn. Given the circumstances I would say that it is either the IAC motor itself or RFI but you seem to have ruled both of those out. The jack-rabbit start can usually be minimized by adjusting the throttle linkage. No matter what do, my idle will not drop below 1350-1400 RPM when the engine warms. Sniper EFI Idle Tuning. After 50 on the throttle position I'm not sure if the whistle goes away or you just can't here it anymore. First, recognize that the amount below your target where you set the hard idle will be different on different engines. Holley Sniper high RPM - IAC problem? In most cases the IAC (Idle Air Control) circuit is the source of the whistle. Between the kick down and the return springs on the throttle body the pedal is so hard to push it's pretty much a jack rabbit start every time from stop, it's almost undrivable, any suggestions on what I could do?thanks for help, I've tried both Holley's tech lines for close to 2 hours with no answer! Then Friday night as I was driving home, the car started acting up. Getting the throttle blades and IAC to work together will keep your fuel injected hot rod running smooth and predictable. The Sniper will be controlling the timing so it will be based on a multitude of factors. Could the IAC be broken/malfunctioning? EFI Troubleshooting EFIand and EFI Tuning Tips - In The Garage Media Once you've done this, the next natural step is to transfer the learn table to the base map, then go in and smooth out the sharp edges, which are going to be at these transitional states. This is more of a bit of a reality check. Could you provide me with some things to check or some things to adjust? I installed the Sniper on my 1978 Ford F-100 with a small block Okay, try my method. He is able to get it to start by quickly depressing the accelerator to at least 60% and releasing. Possibly cap, rotor, coil? I will try the other stuff when I get off work. Do I need to try taping up the IAC port and setting the idle off the idle screw? And since they really had an insanely-tight monetary and real estate budget in the Sniper EFI System, it is unlikely that the added something that wasn't absolutely necessary--and then forgot to use it..And you are spot on about the little Earl's gauge with optional -6 AN port. Even though the Sniper's fuel map is programmed to provide the correct amount of fuel via injectors spraying at 60 PSI, if the pressure is jacked up to 90 PSI the wideband sees that you are rich and faster than you can even detect it audibly lowers the duty cycle to inject the correct amount of fuel. Since the load is more of a wave that increases the most initially and then decreases again, the ECU is doing really well to get the idle under control in only two or three over/under shots as you describe.You don't mention if you have your Sniper ECU controlling timing. As I said above, you could have a bad IAC, but then again, the IAC might be fine and there's a deeper problem such as RFI noise causing the issue or a vacuum leak that is confusing things.

To Catch A Smuggler: Peru, Larry Bell Obituary, Articles H

holley sniper efi iac problems