if the creek don't rise saying

Thats exactly who I was hoping would reply to my question. Lately, though, I have learned to wince quickly and let it go. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Your email address will not be published. Is It Called Presidents Day Or Washingtons Birthday? I agree that the Indian origin sounds unlikely. There is a lot of controversy about this fairly common folk saying. A multipurpose Southernism. If you hear this one, you should probably pause a moment. Thats a mouthful, but we lumped these all together because they are allsubstitutes for (God) d*mn it. What is the origin of the phrase the good Lord willing and the creek dont rise? It's a more conditional statement of intent than come hell or high water. 15 Odd Southern Sayings Their Origins - Bourbon and Boots 40 OLD PHRASES AND SAYINGS - Grammy's Grid [1][2], Classic versions of its use tend to be along the lines of "The good Lord willing, and the creek doesn't rise"i.e. Runnin around like a chicken with it's head . You Cant Use These English Words In The UK, Understanding Black History: 10 Terms That Illuminate The Black Experience In The US. 'If The Creek Don't Rise' Traces Webs Of Hurt And Help : NPR When you arrive on the banks of the fishing pond on Saturday mornings, you're hoping for a good catchenough big catfish and bream to fry up for the family on Saturday night. From the beginning, the first narrative of Sadie Blue, which broke my heart from the first page, it feels like it will be her story. If The Creek Don't Rise Other words sites Farmers know that if you do something 'til the cows come home, it's going to take all day. This Southern saying, God Willing and the Creek Don't Rise. If you use this phrase, you could be declaring any number of things: surprise, dissent, happiness. Im not going to wrestle with historians and their Creek uprising story. 'Cause everything's fine, God, I wish it were . "If the Good Lord's Willing and the Creek Don't Rise" was later covered by Johnny Cash during his tenure at Sun, and a few of the other tracks here ", If God Is Willing and da Creek Don't Rise, "If the Good Lord's Willing and the Creek Don't Rise", Learn how and when to remove this template message, "World Wide Words: God willing and the creek don't rise", "William Clark Green: 'Ringling Road' Album Review", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=If_the_Good_Lord%27s_Willing_and_the_Creek_Don%27t_Rise&oldid=1067282742, "If The Lord's Willing And The Creeks Don't Rise", song by, "If The Good Lord's Willing And The Creek Don't Rise", Lattie Moore, Jerry Reed 1961, "If The Good Lord's Willing", Ray Godfrey, arranged Jerry Reed, Tollie Records 1964, "(Be The Good Lord Willing) The Creek Don't Rise", Jivin' Gene, arranged Smith, Hall-Way Records 1964, "God Willin' & the Creek Don't Rise", with the lyric "God willin' an the creek don't rise, I'll be home again before this time next year." For instance if someone invites you to church on Sunday, you would respond "I'll be there with bells on God Willing and the Creek Don't Rise.". The phrase may be accompanied by a gesture indicating north, south, east, or west. The phrase "God willing." - English Language & Usage Stack Exchange HARDY, Ark. It can be summarised as "if all goes well". The tale is widely reproduced and believed nevertheless. In fact, Georgia and South Carolina produce more peaches than any other states in the South. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it. Grandma might whisper this one over her hymnal if she sees you cutting up in church on Sunday morning. I absolutely loved the southern voice of these characters throughout this book. If the Creek Don't Rise Quotes by Leah Weiss - Goodreads I am usually among those who bristle at change in usage. Your email address will not be published. "You've heard that old saying, 'I'll be there if the creek don't rise?' Well, they've all risen, and a lot of people are staying home because of that." 04 Mar 2023 03:30:05 It's often said in a reassuring way, to calm people down and encourage them to keep on trying. We admit that we've heard this Southernism more than once. Georgia-born blogger Jennifer Collins says she always rolled her eyes when her mom said this to her. Change), You are commenting using your Facebook account. During the early days of the War of 1812, one party of Creek marched north and joined the Indians fighting in Ohio and Michigan, participating in the River Raisin Massacre. Marty Stuart places the words "If the Good Lord's willin' and the creek don't rise, we'll see you in the mornin'." If you find only minnows, though, they look even smaller compared to the heavy catch you hoped for. "All get out" finds its way into Southern phrases constantly, and it intensifies any statement. Anecdotal evidence from people who have got in touch with me down the years suggests that it has been in regular use throughout the lifetimes of some elderly folk in parts of the US, either in the form you give or as the good Lord willing and the creek dont rise. Back when I was in the fourth grade we had an English teacher who dumped a box of books out one day and told us to read them and do book reports. "If The Good Lord's Willing and The Creek Don't Rise" is a 1955 American country song by Jerry Reed which was particularly popularized by the 1958 recording of Johnny Cash and has been covered by multiple artists.[1]. Georgia-born blogger Jennifer Collins says she always rolled her eyes when her mom said this to her. Im a longtime admirer of your calm demeanor and encyclopedic knowledge. The 1800s and 1900s were much simpler times, as people didn't have the luxuries afforded in modern times. by Leah Weiss. What better way to sweeten the sour than with a classic Southern libation? 25 Southern Grandparents' Sayings That Deserve a Comeback, Forgotten Etiquette Every Child Should Learn, Kimberly Schlapman and Her Family's Tea Cakes, Lauren Alaina Talks 'American Idol', Southern Manners, and Her Grandmother's Famous Recipe, 30 Quotes That Remind Us Why Southern Manners Are So Important. Don't worry, though, everyone hears this every now and again. Because this is a progressive verb (youll make progress with it for sure), remember You were fixin to patch the hole in the wall. Never say you fixed to do it! Werefixin to tell you more Southernisms, and now were doing just that. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it. Creek don't rise - phrase meaning and origin - Phrasefinder It is a modern error to presume that "the creek don't rise" is a grammatical error, so the fact that a speaker in the past was college educated would not be an argument against his having used the phrase. Do You Know These Sizzlin Southern Sayings. This was the phrase that he always used, at the end of each performance. A Quite certainly not. If The Creek Don't Rise. "Like all great southern. Affixes dictionary. In fact, virtually all the examples that Ive found in books and newspaper archives down to the present day are in lower-case. If the creek don't risewas a whimsical way of saying that the speaker would carry out some task provided that no figurative obstacle were put in his path. We are an American people, born under the flag of independence and if the Lord is willing and the creeks dont rise, the American people who made this country will come pretty near controlling it. Statements of the form "God/Lord willing and (some other condition being met)" are ancient extensions of simple acceptance of God's will in phrases like God willing and Lord willing. Often said as Lord willing and the creek dont rise, this expression means, with a little bit of luck and no unexpected problems, things should work out. Jan 29, 2014 at 19:34 . Which means if nothing crazy happens or anything out my control such as a natural disaster. These skies can darken at a moment's notice, and summer afternoons often see winds churning and heavy rain clouds blowing in to cool that Southern summer heat. The thing isI read one that I have never stopped thinking about. DeSantis's year-long quest to strip Disney of its self-rule came after the entertainment giant, and Florida's . The "creek don't rise" phrase is now sometimes credited to this time of unrest and displacement. "We plan to be there," we might say, and then add on a quick, "Lord willing and the creek don't rise." It's another way of saying, "I am dead serious about keeping my word on this, short of a hurricane or earthquake." In other words, I'm doggedly committed to this unless the devil stops me. Lord Willing and the creek don't rise - English for Students Ain't got no dog in that race. Here are a couple of examples of this claim. A different style for the story telling in this as we hear from many of the people in this town and Sadie Blues own story is woven through the fabric of theirs. the creek don't rise " is an American slang expression implying strong intentions subject to complete frustration by uncommon but not unforeseeable events. Take a look here Michael: http://www.genealogynation.com/creek/. Positive thinking, Southern style. Eli is the backbone of the community; all he wants is a better life for the people of Baines Creek evidenced by the succession of teachers he has procured.and been scared off, and his scheming troublemaking spinster of a sister Prudence who "don't like nobody" doesn't help matters any, but when the giant 6' 2" Kate Shaw arrives, wellthat's another story. Funny Phrases ben stanczyk 10/25/01 Threats not only from abroad, but internally as well, forced the fledgling nation to negotiate treaties with the tribes on the western frontier. Tensions between settlers and both tribes had been rising following the Treaty of Augusta and the land cessions of 1782-1783. A search for the word rise does not produce this phrase, so it appears that the body of water theory was correct after all. Often said as "Lord willing and the creek don't rise," this expression means, with a little bit of luck and no unexpected problems, things should work out. Catawampus(or, cattywampus) may have been popularized by Brits who delighted in parodying Southern vernacular. In his experience, it doesnt take much for local creeks and streams to cause trouble. In the South, a hill of beans is its own measuring stick. It's a vivid phrase, and it's an accurate one too. from The New York Times: And, good Lord willing and the creek don't rise, come March of next year, I'll be 70 years old. John Wayne. If the Good Lord's Willing and the Creek Don't Rise - Wikipedia Did you know the saying God willing and the Creek dont rise was in reference to the Creek Indians and not a body of water? Whatscatawampus? I've been in a slump of just ok books and was craving one that was special. Andrew Jackson sent a request for reinforcements before the Battle Of New Orleans. PS A belated congratulations on your appointment as moderator, Tom. And that is the highest praise from me. We like to read this as one of the greatest Southern encouragements, but, like most of these phrases, you can use it however you'd like. Copy furnished by Net Galley for the price of a review. Oh, if the good Lord's willing and the creek don't rise. But, in the South, if your boss says that dog wont hunt in a meeting, it probably means your suggestion or idea needs improvement. Phrase [ edit] Lord willing and the creek don't rise ( idiomatic, US, informal) Barring unforeseen circumstances. In a letter to the Commander in Chief, Hawkins stated that he would return to the nations capital, God willing and the Creek dont rise., Hawkins, college-educated and a well-written man would never have made a grammatical error, so the capitalization of Creek is the only way the phrase could make sense and the reference is not to a creek, but The Creek Indian Nation. Actually this is not proven. If you refer to itno matter the brand or flavoras Coke, chances are you grew up in the South. Sign up for writing inspiration in your email, , Scarlett OHara says: I do declare, Frank Kennedy, if you dont look dashing with that new set of whiskers!, The distinct English dialect of the American South, which has a close relationship with Black English (African American Vernacular English), is fascinatingand plenty lively. You dont know whats underneath that water, Rose said. You gonna do nothing?". TOP 25 QUOTES BY JOHN WAYNE (of 133) | A-Z Quotes If we relied on written sources it would be hard to believe in such continued use. It was bad as all get out. Therefore if the Lord is willing and the Creek don't rise up and start up another uprising or battle, we will be able complete what ever it is we intend to do. However, the first President to move to Washington was John Adams on 1 November 1800. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. But today Ive stumbled across the claim that it refers to an uprising by the Creek (or Cree) Indians. Just wait till you see what Granny Gladys does..with a bit of help from Mother Nature..hehehe. "Druthers" roughly translates to "I would rather," meaning, "If had things my way" The phrase is celebrated in song in the hilarious, Southern-inspired Broadway musical Li'l Abner, in which the title character sings "If I had my druthers, I'd druther have my druthers than anything else I know."

Mhsaa Wrestling Team Districts 2022, Vinegar Tastes Bad After Covid, Articles I

if the creek don't rise saying