prometheus query return 0 if no data

I believe it's the logic that it's written, but is there any conditions that can be used if there's no data recieved it returns a 0. what I tried doing is putting a condition or an absent function,but not sure if thats the correct approach. The real power of Prometheus comes into the picture when you utilize the alert manager to send notifications when a certain metric breaches a threshold. The next layer of protection is checks that run in CI (Continuous Integration) when someone makes a pull request to add new or modify existing scrape configuration for their application. Setting label_limit provides some cardinality protection, but even with just one label name and huge number of values we can see high cardinality. This might require Prometheus to create a new chunk if needed. If such a stack trace ended up as a label value it would take a lot more memory than other time series, potentially even megabytes. This is the standard Prometheus flow for a scrape that has the sample_limit option set: The entire scrape either succeeds or fails. Lets say we have an application which we want to instrument, which means add some observable properties in the form of metrics that Prometheus can read from our application. Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience. The text was updated successfully, but these errors were encountered: It's recommended not to expose data in this way, partially for this reason. How to tell which packages are held back due to phased updates. We know that each time series will be kept in memory. With our custom patch we dont care how many samples are in a scrape. PromQL queries the time series data and returns all elements that match the metric name, along with their values for a particular point in time (when the query runs). accelerate any rate (http_requests_total [5m]) [30m:1m] website PromQL / How to return 0 instead of ' no data' - Medium Well occasionally send you account related emails. By clicking Post Your Answer, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy. Connect and share knowledge within a single location that is structured and easy to search. It saves these metrics as time-series data, which is used to create visualizations and alerts for IT teams. That's the query ( Counter metric): sum (increase (check_fail {app="monitor"} [20m])) by (reason) The result is a table of failure reason and its count. This holds true for a lot of labels that we see are being used by engineers. Youve learned about the main components of Prometheus, and its query language, PromQL. count() should result in 0 if no timeseries found #4982 - GitHub Prometheus has gained a lot of market traction over the years, and when combined with other open-source tools like Grafana, it provides a robust monitoring solution. as text instead of as an image, more people will be able to read it and help. We can add more metrics if we like and they will all appear in the HTTP response to the metrics endpoint. which outputs 0 for an empty input vector, but that outputs a scalar Browse other questions tagged, Where developers & technologists share private knowledge with coworkers, Reach developers & technologists worldwide. The only exception are memory-mapped chunks which are offloaded to disk, but will be read into memory if needed by queries. How do you get out of a corner when plotting yourself into a corner, Partner is not responding when their writing is needed in European project application. Also, providing a reasonable amount of information about where youre starting Prometheus will keep each block on disk for the configured retention period. When using Prometheus defaults and assuming we have a single chunk for each two hours of wall clock we would see this: Once a chunk is written into a block it is removed from memSeries and thus from memory. what does the Query Inspector show for the query you have a problem with? Sign up and get Kubernetes tips delivered straight to your inbox. (pseudocode): summary = 0 + sum (warning alerts) + 2*sum (alerts (critical alerts)) This gives the same single value series, or no data if there are no alerts. The speed at which a vehicle is traveling. If this query also returns a positive value, then our cluster has overcommitted the memory. Both of the representations below are different ways of exporting the same time series: Since everything is a label Prometheus can simply hash all labels using sha256 or any other algorithm to come up with a single ID that is unique for each time series. Please see data model and exposition format pages for more details. Monitor Confluence with Prometheus and Grafana | Confluence Data Center Can airtags be tracked from an iMac desktop, with no iPhone? I don't know how you tried to apply the comparison operators, but if I use this very similar query: I get a result of zero for all jobs that have not restarted over the past day and a non-zero result for jobs that have had instances restart. Object, url:api/datasources/proxy/2/api/v1/query_range?query=wmi_logical_disk_free_bytes%7Binstance%3D~%22%22%2C%20volume%20!~%22HarddiskVolume.%2B%22%7D&start=1593750660&end=1593761460&step=20&timeout=60s, Powered by Discourse, best viewed with JavaScript enabled, 1 Node Exporter for Prometheus Dashboard EN 20201010 | Grafana Labs, https://grafana.com/grafana/dashboards/2129. Is it possible to rotate a window 90 degrees if it has the same length and width? want to sum over the rate of all instances, so we get fewer output time series, Better Prometheus rate() Function with VictoriaMetrics PromQL allows querying historical data and combining / comparing it to the current data. What sort of strategies would a medieval military use against a fantasy giant? Extra fields needed by Prometheus internals. The main reason why we prefer graceful degradation is that we want our engineers to be able to deploy applications and their metrics with confidence without being subject matter experts in Prometheus. or Internet application, ward off DDoS If the total number of stored time series is below the configured limit then we append the sample as usual. Being able to answer How do I X? yourself without having to wait for a subject matter expert allows everyone to be more productive and move faster, while also avoiding Prometheus experts from answering the same questions over and over again. What is the point of Thrower's Bandolier? more difficult for those people to help. bay, new career direction, check out our open I am interested in creating a summary of each deployment, where that summary is based on the number of alerts that are present for each deployment. One of the most important layers of protection is a set of patches we maintain on top of Prometheus. This had the effect of merging the series without overwriting any values. Find centralized, trusted content and collaborate around the technologies you use most. No, only calling Observe() on a Summary or Histogram metric will add any observations (and only calling Inc() on a counter metric will increment it). If we let Prometheus consume more memory than it can physically use then it will crash. To this end, I set up the query to instant so that the very last data point is returned but, when the query does not return a value - say because the server is down and/or no scraping took place - the stat panel produces no data. When time series disappear from applications and are no longer scraped they still stay in memory until all chunks are written to disk and garbage collection removes them. Those limits are there to catch accidents and also to make sure that if any application is exporting a high number of time series (more than 200) the team responsible for it knows about it. Return the per-second rate for all time series with the http_requests_total Before that, Vinayak worked as a Senior Systems Engineer at Singapore Airlines. Thank you for subscribing! You can use these queries in the expression browser, Prometheus HTTP API, or visualization tools like Grafana. When you add dimensionality (via labels to a metric), you either have to pre-initialize all the possible label combinations, which is not always possible, or live with missing metrics (then your PromQL computations become more cumbersome). To your second question regarding whether I have some other label on it, the answer is yes I do. Return all time series with the metric http_requests_total: Return all time series with the metric http_requests_total and the given Here are two examples of instant vectors: You can also use range vectors to select a particular time range. Use Prometheus to monitor app performance metrics. Please open a new issue for related bugs. It would be easier if we could do this in the original query though. This is the last line of defense for us that avoids the risk of the Prometheus server crashing due to lack of memory. There's also count_scalar(), The more labels you have, or the longer the names and values are, the more memory it will use. On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 6:24 PM, Lior Goikhburg ***@***. 11 Queries | Kubernetes Metric Data with PromQL, wide variety of applications, infrastructure, APIs, databases, and other sources. Its very easy to keep accumulating time series in Prometheus until you run out of memory. Now comes the fun stuff. This works fine when there are data points for all queries in the expression. Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers. This is the modified flow with our patch: By running go_memstats_alloc_bytes / prometheus_tsdb_head_series query we know how much memory we need per single time series (on average), we also know how much physical memory we have available for Prometheus on each server, which means that we can easily calculate the rough number of time series we can store inside Prometheus, taking into account the fact the theres garbage collection overhead since Prometheus is written in Go: memory available to Prometheus / bytes per time series = our capacity. How to react to a students panic attack in an oral exam? source, what your query is, what the query inspector shows, and any other Select the query and do + 0. We covered some of the most basic pitfalls in our previous blog post on Prometheus - Monitoring our monitoring. Operators | Prometheus The TSDB limit patch protects the entire Prometheus from being overloaded by too many time series. Every two hours Prometheus will persist chunks from memory onto the disk. Prometheus does offer some options for dealing with high cardinality problems. There is an open pull request on the Prometheus repository. To subscribe to this RSS feed, copy and paste this URL into your RSS reader. About an argument in Famine, Affluence and Morality. It's worth to add that if using Grafana you should set 'Connect null values' proeprty to 'always' in order to get rid of blank spaces in the graph. One Head Chunk - containing up to two hours of the last two hour wall clock slot. Youll be executing all these queries in the Prometheus expression browser, so lets get started. So perhaps the behavior I'm running into applies to any metric with a label, whereas a metric without any labels would behave as @brian-brazil indicated? The nature of simulating nature: A Q&A with IBM Quantum researcher Dr. Jamie We've added a "Necessary cookies only" option to the cookie consent popup. SSH into both servers and run the following commands to install Docker. AFAIK it's not possible to hide them through Grafana. ***> wrote: You signed in with another tab or window. Up until now all time series are stored entirely in memory and the more time series you have, the higher Prometheus memory usage youll see. I've created an expression that is intended to display percent-success for a given metric. This means that looking at how many time series an application could potentially export, and how many it actually exports, gives us two completely different numbers, which makes capacity planning a lot harder. In this blog post well cover some of the issues one might encounter when trying to collect many millions of time series per Prometheus instance. PromQL allows you to write queries and fetch information from the metric data collected by Prometheus. This works well if errors that need to be handled are generic, for example Permission Denied: But if the error string contains some task specific information, for example the name of the file that our application didnt have access to, or a TCP connection error, then we might easily end up with high cardinality metrics this way: Once scraped all those time series will stay in memory for a minimum of one hour. Monitoring our monitoring: how we validate our Prometheus alert rules list, which does not convey images, so screenshots etc. If so I'll need to figure out a way to pre-initialize the metric which may be difficult since the label values may not be known a priori. On the worker node, run the kubeadm joining command shown in the last step. In the following steps, you will create a two-node Kubernetes cluster (one master and one worker) in AWS. This helps us avoid a situation where applications are exporting thousands of times series that arent really needed. I can't work out how to add the alerts to the deployments whilst retaining the deployments for which there were no alerts returned: If I use sum with or, then I get this, depending on the order of the arguments to or: If I reverse the order of the parameters to or, I get what I am after: But I'm stuck now if I want to do something like apply a weight to alerts of a different severity level, e.g. Is a PhD visitor considered as a visiting scholar? Is a PhD visitor considered as a visiting scholar? Since this happens after writing a block, and writing a block happens in the middle of the chunk window (two hour slices aligned to the wall clock) the only memSeries this would find are the ones that are orphaned - they received samples before, but not anymore. In both nodes, edit the /etc/sysctl.d/k8s.conf file to add the following two lines: Then reload the IPTables config using the sudo sysctl --system command. Querying basics | Prometheus We know what a metric, a sample and a time series is. Cadvisors on every server provide container names. Site design / logo 2023 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under CC BY-SA. When Prometheus collects metrics it records the time it started each collection and then it will use it to write timestamp & value pairs for each time series. In the screenshot below, you can see that I added two queries, A and B, but only . This is one argument for not overusing labels, but often it cannot be avoided. Prometheus - exclude 0 values from query result, How Intuit democratizes AI development across teams through reusability. Once we appended sample_limit number of samples we start to be selective. the problem you have. Using a query that returns "no data points found" in an expression. However when one of the expressions returns no data points found the result of the entire expression is no data points found.In my case there haven't been any failures so rio_dashorigin_serve_manifest_duration_millis_count{Success="Failed"} returns no data points found.Is there a way to write the query so that a . This also has the benefit of allowing us to self-serve capacity management - theres no need for a team that signs off on your allocations, if CI checks are passing then we have the capacity you need for your applications. This scenario is often described as cardinality explosion - some metric suddenly adds a huge number of distinct label values, creates a huge number of time series, causes Prometheus to run out of memory and you lose all observability as a result. For example, if someone wants to modify sample_limit, lets say by changing existing limit of 500 to 2,000, for a scrape with 10 targets, thats an increase of 1,500 per target, with 10 targets thats 10*1,500=15,000 extra time series that might be scraped. For example, the following query will show the total amount of CPU time spent over the last two minutes: And the query below will show the total number of HTTP requests received in the last five minutes: There are different ways to filter, combine, and manipulate Prometheus data using operators and further processing using built-in functions. @zerthimon You might want to use 'bool' with your comparator Why are trials on "Law & Order" in the New York Supreme Court? Our metrics are exposed as a HTTP response. Its least efficient when it scrapes a time series just once and never again - doing so comes with a significant memory usage overhead when compared to the amount of information stored using that memory. Bulk update symbol size units from mm to map units in rule-based symbology. Having good internal documentation that covers all of the basics specific for our environment and most common tasks is very important. Short story taking place on a toroidal planet or moon involving flying, How to handle a hobby that makes income in US, Doubling the cube, field extensions and minimal polynoms, Follow Up: struct sockaddr storage initialization by network format-string. following for every instance: we could get the top 3 CPU users grouped by application (app) and process The text was updated successfully, but these errors were encountered: This is correct. Is there a way to write the query so that a default value can be used if there are no data points - e.g., 0. Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community. Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers. This means that our memSeries still consumes some memory (mostly labels) but doesnt really do anything. Explanation: Prometheus uses label matching in expressions. Using regular expressions, you could select time series only for jobs whose Why do many companies reject expired SSL certificates as bugs in bug bounties? I am always registering the metric as defined (in the Go client library) by prometheus.MustRegister(). Now, lets install Kubernetes on the master node using kubeadm. Operating such a large Prometheus deployment doesnt come without challenges. So the maximum number of time series we can end up creating is four (2*2). Knowing that it can quickly check if there are any time series already stored inside TSDB that have the same hashed value. Finally, please remember that some people read these postings as an email Returns a list of label values for the label in every metric. With 1,000 random requests we would end up with 1,000 time series in Prometheus. We will examine their use cases, the reasoning behind them, and some implementation details you should be aware of. If your expression returns anything with labels, it won't match the time series generated by vector(0). By clicking Sign up for GitHub, you agree to our terms of service and Windows 10, how have you configured the query which is causing problems? The difference with standard Prometheus starts when a new sample is about to be appended, but TSDB already stores the maximum number of time series its allowed to have. To learn more about our mission to help build a better Internet, start here. This helps Prometheus query data faster since all it needs to do is first locate the memSeries instance with labels matching our query and then find the chunks responsible for time range of the query. I cant see how absent() may help me here @juliusv yeah, I tried count_scalar() but I can't use aggregation with it. 1 Like. Connect and share knowledge within a single location that is structured and easy to search. Having a working monitoring setup is a critical part of the work we do for our clients. Is it possible to create a concave light? Ive deliberately kept the setup simple and accessible from any address for demonstration. Is it suspicious or odd to stand by the gate of a GA airport watching the planes? We protect For that lets follow all the steps in the life of a time series inside Prometheus. These queries are a good starting point. The way labels are stored internally by Prometheus also matters, but thats something the user has no control over. which version of Grafana are you using? The result is a table of failure reason and its count. If the time series already exists inside TSDB then we allow the append to continue. Returns a list of label names. Here is the extract of the relevant options from Prometheus documentation: Setting all the label length related limits allows you to avoid a situation where extremely long label names or values end up taking too much memory. to your account. Querying examples | Prometheus Before running the query, create a Pod with the following specification: Before running the query, create a PersistentVolumeClaim with the following specification: This will get stuck in Pending state as we dont have a storageClass called manual" in our cluster. For instance, the following query would return week-old data for all the time series with node_network_receive_bytes_total name: node_network_receive_bytes_total offset 7d

Kliff Kingsbury Eye Injury, Recent Deaths In Antioch, Ca, Bundt Cake With Yellow Cake Mix And Vanilla Pudding, Articles P

prometheus query return 0 if no data